Friday, December 17, 2010

Today is the day.

A few months ago I made a decision. About the same time that I decided to break up with the internet, I promised myself that I was going to apply to Teach For America.

I've spent the last year and a half attempting to make a post-graduation plan for myself. Grad school? Vagabond traveling? Full time job? As much as I would like to pack my bags and head for the horizon, I know that my student loan bills are looming. I have practically nothing in my savings, and if I don't want to end up living in a cardboard box come June, I figured I should probably make a game plan.

Teach For America is a two-year national service organization that places qualified and enthusiastic individuals in classrooms in low-income school districts across the US. TFA is designed to help eliminate educational inequality in the United States by providing the much needed teaching staff in regions that are high in poverty and low in educational resources. The goal is to bring quality education to the children who are most at risk for dropping out of school and never attending college.

When I first learned about Teach For America, I knew this was something that I wanted to do. I've always been passionate about life-long learning and have come to realize that helping others is one of my top priorities. After reading and learning more about the TFA corp, I knew that this was the perfect post graduation opportunity. It gives me a stable income, the chance to move across the country, and the ability to truly make a difference in the life of a child.  

The day has finally come to turn in my application. I'm proud of myself for finally making a decision and whether I move on to the next round of the application process or not, at least I made a step towards my future. I made a plan, I followed through, and I'm hoping for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment